10 Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register

15-Oct-2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—OCTOBER 15, 2015

FOR STATEWIDE RELEASE

 

TEN ARKANSAS PROPERTIES LISTED ON NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


LITTLE ROCK—Ten Arkansas properties in seven counties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Director Frances McSwain announced today.

The newly listed properties are:

* Servetus W. Ogan House at Wynne in Cross County, a ca. 1910 ornamental concrete block building designed in the American Foursquare style of architecture. “The S. W. Ogan House is one of the few ornamental concrete-block structures in Wynne,” according to the National Register nomination. “However, it is the only example of this method of construction being used to produce an American Foursquare form home. Ornamental concrete-block was a popular construction material during the early twentieth century, especially after its worldwide introduction at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, Missouri.”

* The Lawrence County Courthouse at Walnut Ridge, built in 1965-66 and designed in a modern style with influences of New Formalism by the Arkansas architecture firm of Erhart, Eichenbaum, Rauch and Blass. “When it was built, the building was a significant departure in design from the previous Lawrence County Courthouse, which was a Romanesque Revival building designed in 1901 by the state’s premiere architect, Charles Thompson,” according to the National Register nomination. “The current building, with its long low design and heightened central section delineating the lobby space, strict symmetry in the façade, and slightly raised site, illustrates influences of the New Formalism style of architecture.”

* The Blytheville Air Force Base Capeheart Housing Historic District at Blytheville in Mississippi County, featuring buildings constructed between 1957 and 1962 to serve Air Force servicemen and their families. “The Blytheville Air Force Base Capehart Housing Historic District is an excellent example of military family housing constructed as part of the Capehart Housing Program that uses architectural styles that best fit the region due to climate and landscape,” according to the National Register nomination. “This program was instrumental in using FHA funding criteria to facilitate and ease the construction of this military housing program that used the curvilinear street pattern found being constructed throughout the United States, while also using the Ranch style house as the building type for this project.”

* Highway 79 Bridge Approaches over the White River at Clarendon, including reinforced concrete spans and fill that were not in the original nomination. “Although the main span of the bridge and the east approach are important for their design and engineering that allowed the White River to be spanned, the west approach was just as important in its engineering and in its integral part in the bridge’s original design,” according to the National Register nomination. “The west approach, at over two miles long, was also an engineering feat that allowed the highway to span two crossings of the old river along with Roc Roe Bayou.”

* Shady Lake Recreation Area Historic District near Athens in Polk County featuring buildings, structures and landscape features in the Shady Lake Recreation Area constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1935 and 1940. “The Shady Lake Recreation Area Historic District is noteworthy for its association with the work of the CCC in Polk County,” according to the National Register nomination. “The CCC resources in the nominated historic district were constructed in the Rustic style, which is characterized by a design related to the natural landscape and expressed in the use of materials natural to their setting.”

* Lawyers’ Row Historic District at Malvern in Hot Spring County, featuring buildings erected between 1910 and 1920 that traditionally housed law offices. “The district was well known to house lawyer’s offices, many from the time the buildings were constructed,” according to the National Register nomination. “Even now, two of the offices still are used in this capacity. The period of significance begins around 1910 when the Glover Law Firm was built at the corner of West Second and Locust Streets and ends around 2000 when most attorneys moved their offices out of the area.”

* Malvern Commercial Historic District at Malvern in Hot Spring County, including commercial buildings constructed between 1897 and 1925. “The physical appearance of the district reflects the evolution of the architectural community from around 1897 to 2006,” the National Register nomination says. “The architecture in the historic district serves as a physical example of the evolution of this community and displays buildings from the earliest surviving era of building in the downtown, the late nineteenth century up until the early twenty-first century.”

* Mathews-Storey House at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a Craftsman-style Airplane Bungalow built 1924-25. “These bungalows were seen to echo the form of early aircraft, with the second story as the cockpit and the cross gables as the wings,” according to the National Register nomination. “This house is an amazingly intact example of Craftsman design in central Arkansas built by the Justin Matthews Company in the Westwood development west of the city of Little Rock.”

* The Dan Stowers Office Building at Little Rock in Pulaski County, an International-style building constructed 1960-61. “The Dan Stowers Office Building demonstrates the mid-century modern architectural trend of using modern ideas and experimental materials,” the National Register nomination says. “The construction with haydite blocks, porcelain‑enameled panels, a curtain wall of windows, and a floor-to-ceiling glazing system show the material change and shift in design ideas during the middle of the twentieth century.”

* Sam and Shirley Strauss House at Cammack Village in Pulaski County, a Mid-Century Modern-style structure built 1963-64 from a design by architect Noland Blass, Jr. “The Sam Strauss Jr. House is transitional in form and style, representing the continuing change within the range of Mid-Century Modern designs; away from the more rectilinear and boxy look of earlier Mid-Century Modern homes and projects,” according to the National Register nomination. “The Sam Strauss Jr. House is more sculptural, relying on the graceful slope of the prominent, asymmetrical gable roof to organize all of the various masses and forms below the roof line.”

For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, write the AHPP at 1500 Tower Building, 323 Center St., Little Rock, AR 72201, call the agency at (501) 324-9880 [TDD 501-324-9811], send e-mail to [email protected] or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center and the Historic Arkansas Museum.

(30)