Five Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

03-Mar-2015


FIVE ARKANSAS PROPERTIES LISTED ON NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES

LITTLE ROCK—Five Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Director Frances McSwain announced today.

The newly listed properties are:

* The Shady Grove Delmar Church and School near Delmar in Carroll County, a one-room, wood-frame structure built around 1880. The building is “an excellent example of a one-room vernacular church and school building,” according to the National Register nomination. “The building is an unaltered example of the building type that was once common throughout the state. The decorative hexagonal bell tower gives the Shady Grove Delmar Church and School a level of decoration that was not commonly found on these buildings, and it remains in a remarkable state of preservation today.”

* St. Mary’s Church at Paragould in Greene County, built in 1935 and reflecting a modernist take on the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. “St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Paragould is one of only two buildings designed by renowned architect and designer Charles Eames in Arkansas,” according to the National Register nomination. “The church is also an important example of Eames’s architectural philosophy … and an excellent example of a late Romanesque Revival church with early modernist influences.”

* The Hope Girl Scout Little House at Hope in Hempstead County, a Rustic-style building constructed around 1938 through the Works Progress Administration, a Depression-era federal relief program. “This building provides an outstanding example of New Deal-era construction in southwest Arkansas,” according to the National Register nomination. “Though log cabins are nothing new in this region of Arkansas, the use of this New Deal-era program to construct this wonderfully designed building with its craftsmanship, goes to show how a community can pull together during a time of need and help shape the lives of both the men that helped construct the ‘Little House’ and the morals and lessons learned through the Girl Scout Program.”

* The Ozone School at Ozone in Johnson County, a cut-stone building constructed in 1942 through the Works Progress Administration. “When it was built in 1942, the Ozone School became an important component of the education system for that part of rural Johnson County,” according to the National Register nomination. “The school not only educated students from that area, but also served as a community gathering place. The construction of the school by the WPA also illustrated the importance of the Federal New Deal agency to that part of Johnson County, as well.”

* Boundary increase to the Fishback Neighborhood Historic District at Fort Smith in Sebastian County. “The Fishback Neighborhood Historic District and its boundary increase represents one of the largest intact collections of contiguous early- to mid-20th century dwellings in Fort Smith,” according to the National Register nomination. “The majority of the dwellings have not been significantly altered, and the district retains a strong sense of time and place.”

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center and the Historic Arkansas Museum.