Walks Through History to Visit Historic Cane Hill





LITTLE ROCK–The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program’s next “Walks Through History” tour will visit Cane Hill in Washington County on October 10, AHPP Director Frances McSwain announced today.

Located 17 miles southwest of Fayetteville in Washington County, Cane Hill was first settled in the late 1820s by people from the Crystal Hill neighborhood of North Little Rock. The Cane Hill Collegiate Institute was chartered in 1850 and was one of the earliest institutions of higher learning in Arkansas. Cane Hill College closed in 1891, and the building was used as a public school until the 1950s. The tour will begin at 11 a.m. at Cane Hill College at 14219 College Road. The tour is co-sponsored by Historic Cane Hill.

In the “Walks Through History” program, AHPP historians each month provide free guided walking tours of historic structures and districts across Arkansas. Most tours begin at 11 a.m. on Saturdays. The American Institute of Architects offers two HSW continuing education learning unit credits for members who attend a “Walks Through History” tour.

Other 2015 “Walks Through History” tours will be held November 14, Batesville Commercial Historic District, co-sponsored by Main Street Batesville and the Batesville Preservation Association; and December 12, Washington Street Historic District, Camden, co-sponsored by the Ouachita County Historical Society.

All tours are free and open to the public. For information, call the AHPP at (501) 324-9880, write the agency at 323 Center St., Suite 1500, Little Rock, AR 72201, send an e-mail message to [email protected] or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission and the Historic Arkansas Museum.