Blog

Arkansas Properties on the National Register of Historic Places: Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Clarendon, Monroe County

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Clarendon in Monroe County was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 30, 1976. You can read this and other Arkansas National Register nominations at http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/historic-properties/national-register/search.aspx.

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE

The many ways in which this building has been used exemplifies how a small community can work together in cooperative fellowship, so that the lives of the citizens, both young and old, will be spiritually and educationally enriched. With its sturdy construction and simple but dignified style, it is a typical example of the type of church buildings that were erected during a period of hardship and struggle, by citizens who realized the importance of having a place for worship.

The town of Clarendon was completely destroyed by shelling and burning in June, 1854, forcing the evacuation of the town. The people returned after the close of the Civil War to rebuild their homes and businesses from the weeds and ashes. It is significant that during this time of struggle to return to their former way of life that the spiritual needs of the community were realized by the erection and cooperative use of this church building. The fact that it has survived through numerous floods and many years of weathering and is still useful, testifies to the sturdiness of construction.

The original deed to the property, dated September 15, 1869, was to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Clarendon, and stated that the use of the church was to be freely offered to other denominations when not in use by the Cumberland Presbyterians. The July 9, 1870, minutes of the session state “it was resolved to tender the use of the new Church House now nearly completed, to the Methodist Episcopal Church South, The Presbyterian Church and the Baptist Church, each a portion of the time when not used by the Cumberland Presbyterians.” On July 16, 1870, the session resolved to hire a sexton and request the other denominations worshipping in the house to bear equal parts of the sexton’s hire. Thus the building was completed and several congregations were using the building by this date.

Not only was the building constructed for use by several religious groups, but it is also thought that it was erected jointly by the Cumberland Presbyterians and the Cache Lodge 235 of Free Masons, whose group was organized November 20, 1869, and whose members state that they used the upper floor of the church from the time of its erection until they sold the building in 1968.

The Cumberland Church had been organized in 1857, according to an entry in the record books, and records are intact from March 1869-1920. In 1920, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church united with the First Presbyterian Church of Clarendon and from that time the Masons became the sole owners of the building.

From an entry under building expense it is determined that the congregation paid $2500.00 for the building. If the Masons shared jointly in the expense, the total cost was probably $5000.00. This joint ownership would also explain the reason for a two-story building.

After the lower floor was vacated by the congregation, the Masons allowed the lower floor to be used for various community purposes. The Clarendon Library was housed there for about 20 years. It was operated by librarians who worked without pay, and part of this time was sponsored by Civic organizations. Nearly 4,500 volumes of books were damaged or destroyed when the lower floor was submerged during the 1927 flood. After the break in the Clarendon Levee, the church withstood the rush of the water without structural damage.

The W.L. Boswell chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star also held their meetings in the building. At one time a kindergarten was held there, and a teenage club met in the building for a short time. It was about the year 1960 that the Masons allowed the Boy Scouts to use the lower floor for their meeting place, which they have done since that time.

In 1968 when Cache Lodge 235 decided to tear down the building to erect a new lodge hall, Mrs. W. F. Vaughan, to prevent the destruction of the church, donated the necessary funds to the Troop Committee of the Boy Scout Troop 28, and with the funds they purchased the building. Thus the Boy Scouts are the present owners and occupy the building for their “Scout Hall.”

Thus the old church, whose cornerstone was laid in 1869, which was built for service to the community’s spiritual life, has served in many worthwhile areas — all of which have been for the betterment of the community. It has defied going out of service, having served continuously, as no other building in Clarendon has served to so many worthy groups. It continues to stand, amid the tall oak trees, meeting the needs of today and of our future citizens as it did for those of the past.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Record Books of the Clarendon Congregation, Cumberland Presbyterian Church Charter of Cache Lodge 235 of Free Masons, Clarendon, Ark.

Scrapbooks containing newspaper articles about interviews with former members living in Clarendon when the building was erected; articles also about the Clarendon Library and the 1927 Flood.

Monroe County Deed Records.



Recent Posts


Tags

Art Deco Architecture Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Mississippi County Arkansas County courthouse Restoration Grants Monroe County Arkansas Sunken Lands National Register of Historic Montgomery County Arkansas Helena Arkansas Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Arkansas Preservation Awards Dr. Ruth Hawkins Houston Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Rosston Arkansas free teacher resources Arkansas Railroad History Three States Lumber Company Henry Koen Office Building Benton Arkansas Marked Tree Arkansas Skillern House Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Camden Arkansas Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Huntsville Commercial Historic District Main Street Arkansas U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Evelyn Gill Walker House Delta Cultural Center Russellville Arkansas Pope County Arkansas Ozark Farming Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Buffalo National River Phillips County Arkansas Arkansas Business History Miller County Civilian Conservation Corps 13th Amendment Elias Camp Morris Cumberland Presbyterian Church Tudor Revival Architecture Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Montgomery County Courthouse Bogg Springs Hotel Walks Through History Arkansas African American Civil War History White County Courthouse Forrest City Cemetery Arkansas Register of Historic Places Burdette Plantation Centennial Baptist Church Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Main Street Ozark Madison County Arkansas Clarendon Arkansas News Release Erbie Arkansas Roe Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Program downtown revitalization 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Main Street Batesville Pope County Courthouse Doddridge Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants slipcover removal grants Sandwiching in History Wingmead Trail of Tears in Arkansas most endangered historic places Arkansas Design Network Main Street Searcy Abolition of Slavery Arkansas religious history Bogg Springs Arkansas Destination Downtown Conference Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola free history tours Gothic Revival architecture Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Cemetery Preservation Library Duck Hunting Renaissance Revival Architecture Dionicio Rodriguez Morrilton Arkansas Poinsett County Arkansas Downtown Revitalization Grants St. Francis County Historical Society Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Tolbert Gill Polk County Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture African American education steel window restoration workshop Civil Works Administration International-Style Architecture Free Courthouse Poster historic telephone booth Paris Arkansas National Register of Historic Places Ouachita County Arkansas Rustic Architecture Louisiana Main Street program free historic preservation workshop Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Arkansas Humanities Council Turner Restoration Camden Public Library Forrest City Arkansas Free Lesson Plan 19th Century Road Construction Historic Preservation Alliance Booneville Historical Preservation Society Pulaski County Courthouse U.S. Forest Service Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Fayetteville Arkansas Flood Control downtown economic development Mid-Century Modern Architecture Monroe County Courthouse Folk Victorian Architecture Pike County Arkansas Main Street Texarkana Arkansas Historic Preservation Barney Elias House Mississippi Main Street Association Monsanto Chemical Corporation "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Kiblah School National Historic Landmark Edgar Monsanto Queeny Newton County Arkansas Main Street Dumas historic Arkansas properties Perry County Arkansas cemetery preservsation Pike County Courthouse Saline County Arkansas Mosaic Templars Cultural Center cemetery preservation Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council New Century Club of Camden Let Freedom Ring Conway County Library Rosenwald Schools Real Estate Transfer Tax American Legion Main Street Siloam Springs Craftsman style architecture Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops North Little Rock Arkansas Freedmen's Bureau Arkansas History Lesson Plans historic architecture Historic County Courthouses Booneville Arkansas historic resort communities Little Rock Central High School Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Camden to Washington Road Prairie County Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Huntsville Arkansas Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Arkansas History Nevada County Arkansas Freedom Park

Archive