Arkansas Properties on the National Register of Historic Places: Leake-Ingham Building, Camden, Ouachita County

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Tuesday, February 03, 2015

The Leake-Ingham Building at Camden in Ouachita County was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 1975. You can read this and other Arkansas National Register nominations at


The white frame building which now rests on the rear lot of the McCollum-Chidester House has long been a landmark in Camden, Arkansas. Built circa 1850, this small commercial structure stood for over 100 years at the corner of Washington and Harrison Streets in the heart of the historic south Arkansas community. The Classical style of this small building lent dignity to its use as a law and government office, and as a library. Greek Revival features on this simple rectangular structure include the portico supported by columns and the balanced entry with a large double hung window on either side of the paneled door.

The building was originally constructed to serve as a law office for Mr. William W. Leake, a prominent Camden attorney. An 1859 advertisement in Camden’s States Rights Eagle announced that Mr. Lyon and Mr. Leake, lawyers, were in business in the Washington Street office formerly occupied by lawyers Jennings and Leake. Mr. Leake later changed partners again, and in 1866 was working with Mr. R. E. Sallee. By that time Leake had vacated his first office, and it was rented to the United States government.

In the years following the Civil War the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands had district offices in urban areas all over the South. The Camden office of the Freedmen’s Bureau was established in the building formerly used to house Mr. Leake’s law practice. Supervising a seven county area in south central Arkansas, the Freedmen’s Bureau in Camden played an important role in shaping Reconstruction era history in the State.

Among a collection of miscellaneous papers from the files of the Camden Freedmen’s Bureau is an 1860 fire insurance policy certificate issued to W. W. Leake. For a $16.00 premium Leake received $1,000.00 coverage on his Washington Street law office.

Following its use by the Freedmen’s Bureau, the Leake building served as a Government Land Office for a number of years. It was afterwards purchased by Mr. A. A. Tufts, who used the building as a business office for some time, then rented it to others for the same purpose.

In 1904 a group of women in the New Century Club of Camden started a movement for a public library in the city. An organizational meeting resulted in the formation of the Camden Library Association. The first goal set by the Association was the purchase of a building to house the library. This goal was accomplished on April 1, 1906, when the Leake building was purchased for $1,100.

Mr. H. M. Ingham, Rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Camden, supervised the preparation of the Leake building to house the library. He and his wife made such valuable contributions to the library that in June, 1906, it was named Ingham Library.

For the first half of the twentieth century this small structure housed Camden’s only public library. However, a new library building was constructed in the 1950’s and the Ingham Library was abandoned. Urban growth threatened destruction of the building and in 1954 it was removed from its original downtown lot. After temporarily resting at two different sites, it was moved in 1963 to the rear of the McCollum-Chidester House property (added to the National Register on June 24, 1971).

The Ouachita County Historical Society, which owns both the Ingham Library and the lot on which it stands, plans to restore the building and use it in conjunction with the adjacent McCollum-Chidester House. As one of Camden’s earliest existing commercial structures, the Leake Building-Ingham Library is an important ante-bellum landmark in this historic south Arkansas community.

“Fifty Years of Camden Library History.” Ouachita County Historical Quarterly, Vol. 5.

Freedman’s Bureau Records: Arkansas: Camden. Roll 2, Entries 297-305. Microfilm, Arkansas History Commission.

Ouachita County Tax Records, 1861-1867, Microfilm, Arkansas Historic Commission.

Records Assistant Commissioner: Arkansas: Freedman’s Bureau: Abandoned and Confiscated Lands: 1865-1868. National Archives Microfilm Publications, #M969, roll 29.

Recent Posts


Let Freedom Ring Camden Arkansas Flood Control Delta Cultural Center cemetery preservation Destination Downtown Conference Cumberland Presbyterian Church Rustic Architecture Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Abolition of Slavery Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Morrilton Arkansas Trail of Tears in Arkansas Monroe County Arkansas Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission International-Style Architecture Real Estate Transfer Tax Historic County Courthouses Arkansas Railroad History Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Helena Arkansas Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Camden Public Library Cemetery Preservation Library 13th Amendment American Legion Wingmead Bogg Springs Arkansas Monroe County Courthouse downtown revitalization Montgomery County Arkansas Freedom Park Three States Lumber Company St. Francis County Historical Society Arkansas religious history Louisiana Main Street program Sandwiching in History Montgomery County Courthouse Duck Hunting Free Courthouse Poster Elias Camp Morris Main Street Searcy Historic Preservation Alliance Naturalistic Architecture Burdette Plantation Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Mississippi Main Street Association Conway County Library Mississippi County Arkansas Ozark Farming Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum 19th Century Road Construction Pope County Courthouse Fayetteville Arkansas downtown economic development Burdette Arkansas Arkansas Business History Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Craftsman style architecture Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Huntsville Commercial Historic District National Historic Landmark County courthouse Restoration Grants U.S. Forest Service Walks Through History Mid-Century Modern Architecture Ouachita County Arkansas Turner Restoration Centennial Baptist Church Main Street Siloam Springs U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Kiblah School Doddridge Arkansas Civil Works Administration Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Folk Victorian Architecture Arkansas Humanities Council Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas most endangered historic places Evelyn Gill Walker House free teacher resources Pope County Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Prairie County Arkansas Renaissance Revival Architecture Booneville Arkansas Main Street Batesville Main Street Texarkana Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South cemetery preservsation Central High School Neighborhood Historic District African American education Rosenwald Schools Main Street Ozark Art Deco Architecture Skillern House Saline County Arkansas Free Lesson Plan Forrest City Arkansas Benton Arkansas Paris Arkansas Arkansas History Lesson Plans Erbie Arkansas Newton County Arkansas Miller County Edgar Monsanto Queeny steel window restoration workshop Arkansas Register of Historic Places Marked Tree Arkansas Rosston Arkansas Perry County Arkansas New Century Club of Camden Roe Arkansas Arkansas History Buffalo National River Monsanto Chemical Corporation Nevada County Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Dr. Ruth Hawkins White County Courthouse National Register of Historic Camden to Washington Road Arkansas Historic Preservation Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Pulaski County Courthouse Pike County Courthouse Freedmen's Bureau free historic preservation workshop Tudor Revival Architecture Booneville Historical Preservation Society National Register of Historic Places historic telephone booth Arkansas Preservation Awards Arkansas Design Network News Release Arkansas African American Civil War History Huntsville Arkansas historic architecture Bogg Springs Hotel Poinsett County Arkansas Barney Elias House Clarendon Arkansas Civilian Conservation Corps 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Tolbert Gill Houston Arkansas Sunken Lands Madison County Arkansas Pike County Arkansas Main Street Arkansas historic Arkansas properties Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Downtown Revitalization Grants historic resort communities Phillips County Arkansas Dionicio Rodriguez "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Henry Koen Office Building North Little Rock Arkansas free history tours Forrest City Cemetery Russellville Arkansas Main Street Dumas slipcover removal grants Little Rock Central High School Polk County Arkansas