Blog

Five Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Tuesday, March 03, 2015

LITTLE ROCK—Five Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Director Frances McSwain announced today.

The newly listed properties are:

* The Shady Grove Delmar Church and School near Delmar in Carroll County, a one-room, wood-frame structure built around 1880. The building is “an excellent example of a one-room vernacular church and school building,” according to the National Register nomination. “The building is an unaltered example of the building type that was once common throughout the state. The decorative hexagonal bell tower gives the Shady Grove Delmar Church and School a level of decoration that was not commonly found on these buildings, and it remains in a remarkable state of preservation today.”

* St. Mary’s Church at Paragould in Greene County, built in 1935 and reflecting a modernist take on the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. “St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Paragould is one of only two buildings designed by renowned architect and designer Charles Eames in Arkansas,” according to the National Register nomination. “The church is also an important example of Eames’s architectural philosophy … and an excellent example of a late Romanesque Revival church with early modernist influences.”



* The Hope Girl Scout Little House at Hope in Hempstead County, a Rustic-style building constructed around 1938 through the Works Progress Administration, a Depression-era federal relief program. “This building provides an outstanding example of New Deal-era construction in southwest Arkansas,” according to the National Register nomination. “Though log cabins are nothing new in this region of Arkansas, the use of this New Deal-era program to construct this wonderfully designed building with its craftsmanship, goes to show how a community can pull together during a time of need and help shape the lives of both the men that helped construct the ‘Little House’ and the morals and lessons learned through the Girl Scout Program.”

* The Ozone School at Ozone in Johnson County, a cut-stone building constructed in 1942 through the Works Progress Administration. “When it was built in 1942, the Ozone School became an important component of the education system for that part of rural Johnson County,” according to the National Register nomination. “The school not only educated students from that area, but also served as a community gathering place. The construction of the school by the WPA also illustrated the importance of the Federal New Deal agency to that part of Johnson County, as well.”

* Boundary increase to the Fishback Neighborhood Historic District at Fort Smith in Sebastian County. “The Fishback Neighborhood Historic District and its boundary increase represents one of the largest intact collections of contiguous early- to mid-20th century dwellings in Fort Smith,” according to the National Register nomination. “The majority of the dwellings have not been significantly altered, and the district retains a strong sense of time and place.”

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center and the Historic Arkansas Museum.



Recent Posts


Tags

most endangered historic places Arkansas Business History Delta Cultural Center historic resort communities Main Street Ozark Let Freedom Ring "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants St. Francis County Historical Society Rosston Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture Elias Camp Morris U.S. Forest Service Marked Tree Arkansas Trail of Tears in Arkansas Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Cemetery Preservation Library Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Main Street Dumas Historic Preservation Alliance American Legion Arkansas Humanities Council Wingmead Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut 19th Century Road Construction Art Deco Architecture Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Bogg Springs Arkansas Perry County Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Polk County Arkansas cemetery preservsation National Historic Landmark Free Lesson Plan Arkansas religious history Dr. Ruth Hawkins Arkansas Historic Preservation Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Historic County Courthouses African American education Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Evelyn Gill Walker House Tolbert Gill Kiblah School Ozark Farming Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Freedmen's Bureau Pope County Courthouse Arkansas Design Network Montgomery County Courthouse Free Courthouse Poster North Little Rock Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Helena Arkansas Phillips County Arkansas Destination Downtown Conference Newton County Arkansas cemetery preservation Erbie Arkansas Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Henry Koen Office Building Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Barney Elias House Russellville Arkansas Mississippi Main Street Association Skillern House downtown economic development Bogg Springs Hotel Clarendon Arkansas Morrilton Arkansas Poinsett County Arkansas Downtown Revitalization Grants Main Street Batesville Roe Arkansas Miller County Camden Public Library Arkansas History Lesson Plans Duck Hunting Benton Arkansas Louisiana Main Street program historic architecture Main Street Arkansas Huntsville Commercial Historic District Burdette Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas New Century Club of Camden Freedom Park Camden Arkansas Rosenwald Schools historic Arkansas properties Forrest City Arkansas Ouachita County Arkansas Paris Arkansas Arkansas State University Heritage Sites free historic preservation workshop Main Street Searcy Pulaski County Courthouse Madison County Arkansas Civil Works Administration News Release Pike County Arkansas Camden to Washington Road free history tours historic telephone booth Tudor Revival Architecture Burdette Plantation Doddridge Arkansas Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Little Rock Central High School downtown revitalization Pope County Arkansas Turner Restoration Renaissance Revival Architecture Houston Arkansas Mid-Century Modern Architecture Mississippi County Arkansas Huntsville Arkansas Monroe County Arkansas Main Street Siloam Springs Main Street Texarkana Booneville Arkansas Forrest City Cemetery Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Sandwiching in History Folk Victorian Architecture 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Three States Lumber Company Leake-Ingham Building Dionicio Rodriguez Arkansas Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Arkansas African American Civil War History Monroe County Courthouse Abolition of Slavery International-Style Architecture Conway County Library U.S. Army Corps of Engineers free teacher resources Sunken Lands Pike County Courthouse Edgar Monsanto Queeny Montgomery County Arkansas Flood Control Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Cumberland Presbyterian Church Monsanto Chemical Corporation Walks Through History Booneville Historical Preservation Society Fayetteville Arkansas Real Estate Transfer Tax slipcover removal grants Civilian Conservation Corps 13th Amendment Rustic Architecture Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax National Register of Historic Prairie County Arkansas Craftsman style architecture Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Saline County Arkansas Arkansas Preservation Awards Centennial Baptist Church Arkansas Railroad History Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council White County Courthouse Buffalo National River County courthouse Restoration Grants steel window restoration workshop Arkansas History

Archive