Blog

Our Lady of the Ozarks

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Monday, June 17, 2019

 

In 1954 approximately 3,000 people are reported to have made a pilgrimage to a remote shrine in the heart of the Boston Mountains. This shrine is located in Winslow at Our Lady of the Ozarks, a Catholic mission/shrine founded in 1944 on land donated by Miss Clara Muxen, a nun who relocated to the Ozarks with her family from Iowa. In May of 2019, 75 years after being founded, Our Lady of the Ozarks was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This listing will help to preserve this unique landmark nestled in the Ozarks for pilgrims, worshipers, and tourists into the future. 


“The shrine of Our Lady in the picturesque Boston Mountain range between Fort Smith and Fayetteville, has long been a place of pilgrimage for both Arkansans and out-of-state visitors,” The Guardian, 1963. 


Muxen’s gifts went beyond land. She provided ornamentation for the church which led to its designation as a shrine. What sets a shrine apart from a regular church, according to Catholic Church canon, is a shrine is a sacred place approved by a bishop and visited by pilgrims. There are several key sculptures on the property including Saint Therese The Little Flower, Christ Crucified, Christ Resurrected, and Saint Anthony de Padua. 

Muxen named the mission Our Lady of the Ozarks in honor of The Virgin of the Smile, a statue inspired by the story of Saint Therese, a 19th century youth from Lisieux, France, who was cured of illness by a vision of Mary who appeared to her and smiled. Saint Therese is the Patroness of Missions so it is fitting that her story be interwoven into that of this mission. The statue of The Virgin of the Smile was created by DePrato Studios in Chicago and can still be seen at the site today.
Before the construction of Our Lady of the Ozarks, Catholics in the Boston Mountain region of northwest Arkansas had little access to church services. After an effort by local women to organize a parish, the Diocese of Little Rock formed Our Lady of the Ozarks and parishioners established a small mission near Winslow. In 1944, the parish began building the current native stone church and established a Marian (Mother Mary) statue on the front lawn. Over a two-year period, the parish added more statues to the grounds and finished the original plans for the church. Bishop Alfred Morris officially dedicated the shrine in August of 1946.

Since its inception as the first Marian shrine in Arkansas, Our Lady of the Ozarks has remained a prominent shrine and has served as an annual destination for Catholic pilgrims. 

You can view video from the 1949 pilgrimage event at Our Lady of the Ozarks at: https://youtu.be/iDCk9LcAPsM 


Sources: National Register Nomination Form authored by Ralph Wilcox and http://ourladyoftheozarksshrine.org/

 



Recent Posts


Tags

Poinsett County Arkansas African American education Main Street Siloam Springs Gothic Revival architecture Civilian Conservation Corps Tudor Revival Architecture Erbie Arkansas Phillips County Arkansas free historic preservation workshop Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Flood Control Delta Cultural Center Louisiana Main Street program historic resort communities Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery historic telephone booth Forrest City Arkansas Burdette Arkansas cemetery preservsation Free Courthouse Poster Camden Arkansas Craftsman style architecture Abolition of Slavery Pope County Courthouse Naturalistic Architecture News Release Huntsville Arkansas Pike County Courthouse Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Three States Lumber Company Dionicio Rodriguez slipcover removal grants Tolbert Gill Montgomery County Courthouse Montgomery County Arkansas Dr. Ruth Hawkins Mississippi County Arkansas Downtown Revitalization Grants Perry County Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Mississippi Main Street Association Conway County Library Cumberland Presbyterian Church Pike County Arkansas Polk County Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Arkansas Business History U.S. Army Corps of Engineers "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Main Street Texarkana Arkansas Register of Historic Places Let Freedom Ring Huntsville Commercial Historic District Miller County National Historic Landmark Freedmen's Bureau Marked Tree Arkansas Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Kiblah School Arkansas Railroad History Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Helena Arkansas Barney Elias House free teacher resources Arkansas Historic Preservation Houston Arkansas Duck Hunting U.S. Forest Service Free Lesson Plan Edgar Monsanto Queeny Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Art Deco Architecture Skillern House Monroe County Courthouse downtown revitalization Doddridge Arkansas Newton County Arkansas Booneville Arkansas 13th Amendment Morrilton Arkansas Rosston Arkansas 19th Century Road Construction Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum American Legion Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Camden to Washington Road historic architecture Booneville Historical Preservation Society Ozark Farming Madison County Arkansas Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Saline County Arkansas County courthouse Restoration Grants St. Francis County Historical Society Arkansas History Lesson Plans Benton Arkansas Arkansas Humanities Council Destination Downtown Conference Camden Public Library Monsanto Chemical Corporation Paris Arkansas Arkansas religious history National Register of Historic Monroe County Arkansas Real Estate Transfer Tax free history tours Evelyn Gill Walker House Burdette Plantation Renaissance Revival Architecture White County Courthouse Fayetteville Arkansas Little Rock Central High School Rosenwald Schools Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Civil Works Administration Bogg Springs Arkansas Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Arkansas Preservation Awards Pulaski County Courthouse Elias Camp Morris Historic Preservation Alliance Trail of Tears in Arkansas Russellville Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture Freedom Park Main Street Batesville cemetery preservation 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Main Street Dumas Main Street Searcy Historic County Courthouses International-Style Architecture Buffalo National River Arkansas Design Network Leake-Ingham Building Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Turner Restoration Roe Arkansas Rustic Architecture steel window restoration workshop Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas National Register of Historic Places Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Wingmead Prairie County Arkansas Sandwiching in History Cemetery Preservation Library Bogg Springs Hotel Arkansas African American Civil War History most endangered historic places Ouachita County Arkansas North Little Rock Arkansas Forrest City Cemetery Clarendon Arkansas Henry Koen Office Building downtown economic development Pope County Arkansas Walks Through History Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Centennial Baptist Church Arkansas History Main Street Arkansas Main Street Ozark Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot historic Arkansas properties Sunken Lands New Century Club of Camden Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Mid-Century Modern Architecture

Archive