Seven Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Friday, September 29, 2017

LITTLE ROCK—Seven Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

* Henry “Harry” Charles Pernot House at Van Buren in Crawford County, built 1900-1904, exhibits elements of the Queen Anne and Second Empire styles of architecture. “Although the Pernot House includes many characteristically Queen-Anne style ornamentations, the form of the house is mainly Second Empire style in design,” according to the National Register nomination. The Second Empire style was inspired by French Renaissance traditions and included steeply pitched roofs with towers and generally restrained window patterns. The Pernot House falls under the tower variant of the Second Empire style.”




* Johnson-Portis House at West Memphis in Crittenden County, a Tudor Revival-style building erected 1936-38. “The construction and design of the Johnson-Portis House illustrates the growth and development of the Tudor Revival style in eastern Arkansas, and the influences of the latest architectural fashion throughout the first part of the twentieth century,” according to the National Register nomination. “The development of West Memphis and the lumber industry in the area during the early 1900s brought a lot of wealth to the area, which also allowed residents to hire the era’s fashionable architects, such as Mahan & Woods, to design high-style residences using the latest architectural styles.”





* Scull Historic District at Conway in Faulkner County, consisting of a pair of ca. 1928 decorative concrete block residences. “The Scull Historic District has two of the few remaining examples of ornamental concrete-block buildings in Conway,” according to the National Register nomination. “The two houses on Conway Boulevard are unique examples of Craftsman style concrete-block construction. The physical appearances of both dwellings largely maintain the original design and the concrete-block is in good condition. It is believed that both dwellings were built by concrete-block contractor Ferdinand Lawrence Scull.”




* Arkansas Research and Test Station in Montgomery County, constructed ca. 1965, includes a a parabolic antenna and an associated operations building. “The Arkansas Research Test Station is a well-preserved example of a parabolic antenna used to advance both the technical skills of employees as well as to test the feasibility of multiple-access satellite communication used by the Hughes Aircraft Company,” according to the National Register nomination. “By 1965-66, the age of space and satellite communication was being thrust upon the American public, and would change the way the world communicates thanks in part to the work and research conducted at the Arkansas Research Test Station.”




* Jewel Bain House No. 4 at Pine Bluff in Jefferson County, a ca. 1965 building with a design inspired by Japanese architecture. “The Bain House No. 4 is one of four houses that Jewel Bain designed for her family in Pine Bluff between the 1920s and 1960s,” according to the National Register nomination. “Although not a formally trained architect, Jewel Bain had a keen sense of design, which is displayed in the houses that she designed. … The Bain House shows hallmark characteristics of the Japanese influence, most notably with the striking blue tile roof that was imported from Japan. Even the small outbuilding, which is designed to look like a teahouse, shows the Japanese influence in the property’s design.”





* Dr. Charles H. Kennedy House at North Little Rock in Pulaski County, built in 1964 from a Mid-Century Modern design by architect Warren Segraves. “The Kennedy House represents an outstanding example of the Mid-Century Modern style of architecture in North Little Rock and an excellent example of Segraves’ philosophy,” according to the National Register nomination. “The interrelation between indoors and outdoors, the lack of ornamentation, and the use of windows to allow privacy were hallmarks of the style. The house that Warren Segraves designed really exhibits the characteristics of the style, and is an excellent example of the style.”




* West-Blazer House at Jacksonville in Pulaski County, a Plain Traditional-style residence constructed around 1912. The building is “an important example of a vernacular, wood-frame dwelling constructed by a local carpenter,” according to the National Register nomination. “The period of significance, from c. 1912 to c. 1930, was selected as it most likely encompassed the major early additions to the home that resulted in its current configuration. This period of significance also encompasses the period when the Ebenezer community was at its height as a cohesive rural community with an active local school, church, and multiple businesses.”

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.

Recent Posts


Pulaski County Courthouse Arkansas Business History Ouachita County Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Downtown Revitalization Grants Flood Control Historic Preservation Alliance Dr. Ruth Hawkins free historic preservation workshop Conway County Library Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Barney Elias House Skillern House Houston Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Huntsville Arkansas Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Craftsman style architecture Pope County Arkansas White County Courthouse Let Freedom Ring Forrest City Arkansas Rosston Arkansas Arkansas Humanities Council Rustic Architecture North Little Rock Arkansas Montgomery County Arkansas Roe Arkansas Tudor Revival Architecture downtown revitalization Perry County Arkansas Arkansas History Trail of Tears in Arkansas Arkansas Register of Historic Places Clarendon Arkansas Civil Works Administration Ozark Farming Louisiana Main Street program Marked Tree Arkansas Madison County Arkansas Morrilton Arkansas Arkansas Railroad History slipcover removal grants Paris Arkansas Main Street Searcy Centennial Baptist Church Dionicio Rodriguez Main Street Dumas Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Cumberland Presbyterian Church Saline County Arkansas 13th Amendment Pike County Courthouse historic telephone booth Mississippi County Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture Mid-Century Modern Architecture New Century Club of Camden Real Estate Transfer Tax historic architecture American Legion 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation free history tours Monroe County Arkansas Kiblah School Sandwiching in History Monroe County Courthouse Bogg Springs Hotel Freedom Park Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Main Street Batesville Prairie County Arkansas free teacher resources Camden Public Library Monsanto Chemical Corporation Historic County Courthouses Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Main Street Ozark Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Arkansas Historic Preservation Forrest City Cemetery Free Courthouse Poster Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District National Register of Historic Burdette Plantation Turner Restoration Duck Hunting steel window restoration workshop Freedmen's Bureau Abolition of Slavery Helena Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Walks Through History Tolbert Gill historic resort communities Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Camden to Washington Road Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Folk Victorian Architecture Sunken Lands Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Arkansas African American Civil War History Elias Camp Morris Huntsville Commercial Historic District downtown economic development Newton County Arkansas Arkansas religious history Booneville Historical Preservation Society Poinsett County Arkansas Renaissance Revival Architecture Three States Lumber Company Art Deco Architecture Cemetery Preservation Library Gothic Revival architecture County courthouse Restoration Grants historic Arkansas properties Destination Downtown Conference Main Street Siloam Springs Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Henry Koen Office Building Main Street Texarkana Arkansas Design Network Benton Arkansas National Register of Historic Places Evelyn Gill Walker House Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Phillips County Arkansas Delta Cultural Center Polk County Arkansas News Release Arkansas Preservation Awards Camden Arkansas cemetery preservsation Russellville Arkansas Booneville Arkansas Wingmead 19th Century Road Construction Bogg Springs Arkansas National Historic Landmark Buffalo National River Edgar Monsanto Queeny Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax U.S. Forest Service Miller County Leake-Ingham Building International-Style Architecture Main Street Arkansas Arkansas History Lesson Plans Erbie Arkansas Free Lesson Plan Burdette Arkansas Montgomery County Courthouse Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Pope County Courthouse African American education Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Rosenwald Schools cemetery preservation Little Rock Central High School Doddridge Arkansas Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South most endangered historic places St. Francis County Historical Society Pike County Arkansas Mississippi Main Street Association Fayetteville Arkansas U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Civilian Conservation Corps Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops