Blog

Six Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Friday, February 10, 2017

LITTLE ROCK—Six Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Interim Director Marian Boyd announced today.

The newly listed properties are:

* Aristocrat Motor Inn at Hot Springs in Garland County, a Mid-Century Modern-style building constructed in 1963. “The Aristocrat Motor Inn was designed as a six story V-shaped tower over a larger rectilinear first story,” according to the National Register nomination. “The inner courtyard is defined by the saw-toothed sides of the tower, with the street side left open. The inner saw-toothed sides allowed for a large amount of light into each of the rooms. This is especially important due to the fact that the only windows for most of the rooms are located along the inner edge of the courtyard. The south and north facades do not include window openings. The overall design of the hotel, with its wide “V” shape, white wall planes, large glass panels, and use of large neon-lighted signs, is also reminiscent of earlier Googie style structures.”

 

 

 

* The Lake Catherine State Park Prisoner of War Structures in Hot Spring County, including a stone retaining wall and barbecue pit built by German POWs in 1945. “The Lake Catherine State Park Prisoner of War Structures are one of the last surviving remnants of the former Hot Springs Prisoner of War branch camp, and stand as a proud reminder of the significant role Hot Springs– and Arkansas – played in supporting the United States during WWII,” according to the National Register nomination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* Minaret Manor at Osceola in Mississippi County, built in 1948 and reflecting the Tudor Revival and Collegiate Gothic styles of architecture. “The beautiful Minaret Manor has been the centerpiece for lavish living, entertainment and extravagant court drama in the Arkansas Delta City of Osceola between 1948 and 1968,” according to the National Register nomination. “The Minaret Manor exemplifies a myriad of architectural styles including the Tudor Revival and Late Gothic Revival traditions within Mississippi County. It is not the only house in the area to have Tudor Revival detailing, but it is the finest and most grand example of an American’s interpretation of architectural styles found in England during this time period.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* Brinkley Concrete Streets at Brinkley in Monroe County. “The remaining concrete streets are a reminder of the efforts of Brinkley in the early twentieth century to provide infrastructure for the city’s residents and they also illustrate the efforts to provide infrastructure for the increased automobile traffic that was developing in the early 1900s. Even today, almost a century later, the Brinkley Concrete Streets provide an important role in transportation in Brinkley, continuing to serve the residents as they did in the 1920s.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* First Evangelical Lutheran Church at Fort Smith in Sebastian County, a Gothic Revival-style building designed by W. H. Blakely and Hoffman, architects, and constructed between 1900 and 1904. “The design of the church includes many of the typical Gothic Revival characteristics, including the use of heavy, substantial materials such as stone, steeply pitched cross gables, pointed arch windows, detailed ornamentation, and wall surfaces that extend in the gable ends without a break,” according to the National Register nomination. “All of the buildings known to be associated with William H. Blakely in Fort Smith have been either substantially changed, such as the Fort Smith Carnegie Library, or have been completely demolished. The First Evangelical Lutheran Church is the only known surviving structure that still retains its historic integrity.”

 

 

 

 

* St. John’s Episcopal Church at Camden in Ouachita County, a 1926 building designed in the Gothic Revival style of architecture by the architectural firm of Witt, Siebert & Halsey of Texarkana. “St. John’s Episcopal Church is an excellent example of a brick Gothic Revival style church in Camden,” according to the National Register nomination. “The design of the church includes many of the typical Gothic Revival characteristics, including the use of a heavy, substantial material such as the deep red brick, steeply-pitched gable roofs, pointed-arch windows, detailed ornamentation and polychrome design, and wall surfaces that extend in the gable ends without a break. Also, all of the windows in the church include exaggerated lintels and pointed arches as well as surbased arches, all with extended sills.”

For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, write the AHPP at 1100 North Street, Little Rock, AR 72201, call the agency at (501) 324-9880 [TDD 501-324-9811], send e-mail to [email protected] or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.



Recent Posts


Tags

Turner Restoration National Register of Historic Places Arkansas Railroad History American Legion Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Craftsman style architecture free teacher resources Newton County Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Erbie Arkansas Pope County Arkansas Perry County Arkansas 19th Century Road Construction 13th Amendment Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Kiblah School Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council cemetery preservation Monroe County Courthouse Let Freedom Ring Freedom Park Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax historic Arkansas properties Abolition of Slavery Pike County Courthouse National Historic Landmark Miller County Main Street Batesville Dionicio Rodriguez Saline County Arkansas Russellville Arkansas U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Civilian Conservation Corps Main Street Arkansas Louisiana Main Street program Cemetery Preservation Library Fayetteville Arkansas Sandwiching in History Arkansas Business History Mississippi County Arkansas White County Courthouse Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Centennial Baptist Church Helena Arkansas Pike County Arkansas Duck Hunting Bogg Springs Arkansas St. Francis County Historical Society Main Street Siloam Springs Arkansas Register of Historic Places Paris Arkansas Huntsville Commercial Historic District historic architecture Arkansas Preservation Awards Destination Downtown Conference Evelyn Gill Walker House Mississippi Main Street Association Roe Arkansas Camden to Washington Road Downtown Revitalization Grants Main Street Texarkana Pope County Courthouse Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Burdette Plantation Arkansas Humanities Council News Release Cumberland Presbyterian Church Tolbert Gill Wingmead Art Deco Architecture Forrest City Arkansas Madison County Arkansas free history tours Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Rosston Arkansas Arkansas Design Network Historic Preservation Alliance most endangered historic places Prairie County Arkansas Arkansas History Lesson Plans downtown revitalization Poinsett County Arkansas Free Lesson Plan Skillern House Benton Arkansas Houston Arkansas Trail of Tears in Arkansas Free Courthouse Poster cemetery preservsation Edgar Monsanto Queeny historic resort communities Marked Tree Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Dr. Ruth Hawkins Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Camden Public Library slipcover removal grants Forrest City Cemetery 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Conway County Library Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Real Estate Transfer Tax National Register of Historic Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Walks Through History Ozark Farming Little Rock Central High School Historic County Courthouses "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Pulaski County Courthouse Main Street Dumas Gothic Revival architecture steel window restoration workshop County courthouse Restoration Grants Phillips County Arkansas Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops North Little Rock Arkansas Flood Control Ouachita County Arkansas Polk County Arkansas Montgomery County Courthouse Monsanto Chemical Corporation Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Henry Koen Office Building Leake-Ingham Building Barney Elias House Arkansas religious history Camden Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Clarendon Arkansas Renaissance Revival Architecture Nevada County Arkansas Sunken Lands downtown economic development Bogg Springs Hotel Naturalistic Architecture International-Style Architecture African American education Montgomery County Arkansas Elias Camp Morris Three States Lumber Company Rustic Architecture Monroe County Arkansas Freedmen's Bureau Arkansas African American Civil War History Booneville Arkansas Buffalo National River New Century Club of Camden Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Delta Cultural Center Folk Victorian Architecture free historic preservation workshop Booneville Historical Preservation Society Main Street Ozark Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Morrilton Arkansas Rosenwald Schools Huntsville Arkansas Mid-Century Modern Architecture Arkansas History Civil Works Administration Tudor Revival Architecture Main Street Searcy U.S. Forest Service historic telephone booth Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Archive