Blog

Ten Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Thursday, February 01, 2018

 

Ten Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

* Gentry Grand Army of the Republic Monument at Gentry in Benton County, a commemorative monument raised by Union veterans in 1918. “While Confederate monuments erected in the years following the Civil War can be found scattered across Arkansas, including around thirty that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Union monuments are much scarcer,” according to the National Register nomination. “The Minnesota Monument was placed in Little Rock National Cemetery by the State of Minnesota in 1916. The Judsonia Grand Army of the Republic Monument was erected by the Sherman G.A.R. Post in 1894 and the Siloam Springs Grand Army of the Republic Monument was placed by the Simon R. Curtis G.A.R. Post in 1928. The Gentry Grand Army of the Republic Monument is thus one of only four historic resources closely associated with the fraternal activities of Union veterans in the state, including the more than 120 Grand Army of the Republic chapters that existed in Arkansas.”

 

 

 

 

* Highfill School (No. 71) at Highfill in Benton County, a wood-frame vernacular educational structure built around 1911. “The Community Building, previously Highfill School (No. 71), still stands proud and solid at the corner of the state highway close to the fire station,” the National Register nomination says. “Though close to the highway, the residents of the community have not moved the structure for fear of the age and wear and tear on the building. The building continues to be used frequently for club and social events and maintains its charm to all those who live in the town. This school building is one of the only known surviving structures related to the early history of the Highfill community as a whole and one of few surviving early school structures in Benton County.”

 

 

 

* Green Valley Homestead near Salem in Fulton County, an ensemble of log buildings constructed between 1936 and 1943. “The Green Valley Homestead is an excellent example of an intact Rustic-style farmstead designed and built during the 1930s and 1940s in rural Fulton County,” according to the National Register nomination. “The farmstead includes the main residence (Green House), a privy, a root cellar, a carriage house (garage and workshop), a stone chicken coop, and a large barn as well as several stone site features including a fire pit, retaining walls, and patios. Construction of the farmstead started in c. 1936 under the direction of the Green family, Mr. Glenn “Tom” Bernard Green and his wife Mrs. Inez Green, and continued through c. 1943 when the stone chicken coop was completed.”

 

 

 

* House at 1920 South Main Street at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a ca. 1905 Folk Victorian-style cottage located in the South Main Street Historic District. “In the original nomination for the South Main Street Residential Historic District, the House at 1920 South Main Street was considered to be non-contributing to the District, due to extensive alterations, including the replacement of windows, alterations to the historic porch structure, and the addition of synthetic siding, according to the National Register nomination. “However, due to the carrying out of a historic preservation tax credit project, the building should now be considered to be a contributing resource within the South Main Street Residential Historic District. The recent restoration project renovated the property closer to its original condition by restoring the windows, porch supports and removing the exterior synthetic siding and restoring the original wooden horizontal siding underneath. As a result, the building is now considered to be a contributing resource in the South Main Street Residential Historic District.”

 



* Greenwood School at Hot Springs in Garland County, a 1930 Art Deco-style building with a 1950 International-style addition. “In 1950, Greenwood School was expanded through the addition of four classrooms, two at each end of the original school building in newly constructed upper level atop the existing eastern and western bays, designed to match the Art Deco style of the original building,” according to the National Register nomination. “Also, a new International Style combination Gymnasium-Auditorium-Cafeteria was added to the eastern side of the original building. This new multi-use space allowed the original central auditorium space to be subdivided into additional classrooms. The additions, including the multi-use addition were all designed by the school’s original architect, Irven D. McDaniel.”

 

 

 

 

* Blytheville Air Force Base Strategic Air Command Alert and Weapons Storage Area Historic District at Blytheville in Mississippi County, containing the ca. 1959 support structures for a nuclear bomber base. “Though arriving late to the Strategic Air Command’s Bomber Alert Program, it provided another installation that was able to augment SAC’s already strong ability to establish a one-third strike force that was able and ready to provide a counterattack within 15 minutes, in the event of a Soviet-initiated strike on the United States,” according to the National Register nomination. “It is through the constant efforts of SAC and its airmen that the bomber fleet was considered the backbone of the SAC deterrent posture.

 

 

 

 

* R.L. Leach Grocery Store at Dutch Mills in Washington County, a ca. 1925 Plain Traditional-style commercial building. “Built circa 1925, the north half of the R.L. Leach Grocery Store is the original building sold to the Leaches by Johnny and Mary Jane Sparks, while the southern half is from the Sycamore Filling Station, which was located across the road from the Leach store, and was owned by Will Sparks,” according to the National Register nomination. “The R.L. Leach Grocery Store reflected the economic strategy employed by many postmasters at the time, further solidifying the importance of the building to the community.”

 

 

 

 

* Elmwood Cemetery at Fort Smith in Sebastian County, containing burials dating to 1891 from the Sebastian County Poor Farm. “The poor farm system was an important part of the social fabric in several Arkansas counties during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries,” according to the National Register nomination. “As county residents fell on hard times, the poor farm was often one of the only places that residents could turn to for assistance. As a result, it was an important place for many residents. The fact that the poor farm also existed for over 50 years meant that it was an important facility in Sebastian County for a significant length of time.”

 





 * Fitzgerald Historic District at Fort Smith in Sebastian County, featuring buildings designed in the Folk Vernacular, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and Craftsman styles and dating to 1905. “Developed in the early-twentieth century, the neighborhood was home to middle- and working-class citizens who built modest homes in the Folk Vernacular, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and Craftsman styles,” the National Register nomination says. “Most lots in the neighborhood were developed between 1920 and 1930. Only a few dwellings within the district were built after World War II with the exception of two modern apartment buildings. The majority of dwellings in the district have not been significantly altered, and the district retains a strong sense of time and place.”

 

 

 

* Robert Wanslow House at Fort Smith in Sebastian County, built in 1962 from a design by Wanslow and reflecting the Mid-Century Modern style of architecture. “The design of the Robert Wanslow House reflects the increased relationship between the indoors and outdoors, as well as the issue of privacy in house design,” according to the National Register nomination. “The design of the Wanslow House, with its sliding-glass doors on the east and north sides encouraged residents and visitors to interact with the house’s surroundings. The placement of the large windows away from the street also emphasized privacy for the house’s occupants from the street. The issue of privacy is also illustrated by the fact that the main entrance does not face the street and is also recessed from the main plane of the façade.”

 

 

For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, write the AHPP at 1100 North Street, Little Rock, AR 72201, call the agency at (501) 324-9880 [TDD 501-324-9811], send e-mail to [email protected] or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.

 



Recent Posts


Tags

Marked Tree Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation steel window restoration workshop Nevada County Arkansas Arkansas Preservation Awards Main Street Batesville Real Estate Transfer Tax Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Turner Restoration Helena Arkansas Clarendon Arkansas Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Buffalo National River Barney Elias House U.S. Forest Service Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Wingmead Poinsett County Arkansas Art Deco Architecture Booneville Arkansas Sunken Lands Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Rustic Architecture Trail of Tears in Arkansas Dr. Ruth Hawkins Arkansas Design Network Saline County Arkansas Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Tolbert Gill Walks Through History Main Street Ozark Duck Hunting International-Style Architecture Free Courthouse Poster Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Flood Control Pulaski County Courthouse Roe Arkansas Main Street Texarkana Historic County Courthouses Arkansas History Houston Arkansas News Release Paris Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Miller County cemetery preservsation Sandwiching in History Madison County Arkansas Ozark Farming Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Destination Downtown Conference Three States Lumber Company Skillern House free history tours County courthouse Restoration Grants Pike County Courthouse Arkansas religious history Abolition of Slavery Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Centennial Baptist Church Mid-Century Modern Architecture Let Freedom Ring 13th Amendment Camden Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Burdette Arkansas Fayetteville Arkansas historic architecture Kiblah School Pope County Courthouse Main Street Arkansas historic telephone booth historic resort communities Civilian Conservation Corps American Legion Free Lesson Plan Pike County Arkansas "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Bogg Springs Arkansas Elias Camp Morris National Historic Landmark Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Leake-Ingham Building Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Little Rock Central High School Ouachita County Arkansas Arkansas Business History Henry Koen Office Building Arkansas History Lesson Plans Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Downtown Revitalization Grants National Register of Historic Places U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Forrest City Arkansas Morrilton Arkansas Conway County Library cemetery preservation Renaissance Revival Architecture Huntsville Arkansas African American education Louisiana Main Street program free teacher resources most endangered historic places Cumberland Presbyterian Church Rosston Arkansas Tudor Revival Architecture Main Street Searcy Main Street Dumas Freedmen's Bureau Delta Cultural Center Freedom Park New Century Club of Camden Monroe County Courthouse Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Mississippi Main Street Association Montgomery County Courthouse Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Polk County Arkansas Monsanto Chemical Corporation 19th Century Road Construction Prairie County Arkansas Huntsville Commercial Historic District historic Arkansas properties Mississippi County Arkansas North Little Rock Arkansas Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Monroe County Arkansas Cemetery Preservation Library Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Erbie Arkansas White County Courthouse Evelyn Gill Walker House Craftsman style architecture Arkansas Railroad History Benton Arkansas free historic preservation workshop Dionicio Rodriguez Gothic Revival architecture Montgomery County Arkansas Arkansas African American Civil War History Camden Public Library Arkansas Humanities Council Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Booneville Historical Preservation Society Phillips County Arkansas National Register of Historic Burdette Plantation slipcover removal grants downtown revitalization Rosenwald Schools Forrest City Cemetery Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Pope County Arkansas St. Francis County Historical Society Edgar Monsanto Queeny Newton County Arkansas downtown economic development Historic Preservation Alliance 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Russellville Arkansas Civil Works Administration Naturalistic Architecture Camden to Washington Road Perry County Arkansas Arkansas Register of Historic Places Main Street Siloam Springs Bogg Springs Hotel Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut

Archive