Blog

The White County Courthouse, from County Lines Magazine

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Among the many programs and services of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program is the County Courthouse Restoration Grant Program. Created in 1989, this grant program has helped to extend the lives of courthouses that hold vital links to community pride and local history. These grants are funded through the Real Estate Transfer Tax, administered by the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council. Since the beginning of the program, the AHPP has awarded more than $18.6 million to 69 historic courthouses and courthouse annexes around the state for use in rehabilitating, preserving and protecting these important historic resources. Since 1991, White County has received 10 grants totaling $293,204 for the White County Courthouse.

(The featured article below ran in the Winter 2015 issue of the quarterly publication of the Association of Arkansas Counties – County Lines. Companion articles about historic courthouses will be a regular feature in future issues. Read more about the history of White County and this remarkable building.)

The stately White County Courthouse in Searcy stands today as one of the finest examples of a Classical Revival-style public building in Arkansas. The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program and White County have worked together for nearly 25 years to preserve the building and make it accessible to all of the county’s constituents. Since 1991, White County has received $293,204 through the AHPP’s County Courthouse Restoration Grant program for restoration work on the landmark building, in addition to another grant to prepare the old Searcy Post Office to serve as a courthouse annex (see sidebar).

When Arkansas’s territorial General Assembly created White County on October 23, 1835, it decreed that “until the seat of justice shall be located, the temporary seat shall be and the courts shall be held at the home of David Crise near the White Sulphur Springs,” now the site of Oak Grove Cemetery. A five-man commission was established to select a permanent county seat, and in 1839 Crawford Walker donated 10 acres of land to them, which was sold to finance a one-story log building just southwest of the current courthouse. White County’s first permanent courthouse, with its furnishings, cost only $138.50. Interestingly, the original donation became embroiled in a kerfuffle involving land grants to veterans of the War of 1812 that eventually went to the U.S. Supreme Court, making White County’s courthouse the only one in Arkansas whose location was adjudicated by the nation’s highest court.

By 1850, the county needed a larger courthouse and a two-story, wood-frame building featuring a pair of single-story adjacent wings was built for $1,000 on the site of the present courthouse. As White County continued to grow during that decade, government operations soon outgrew the 1850 structure and plans were made for a newer, larger courthouse to be constructed in 1861. The Civil War, however, curtailed those plans and it was not until 1869 that new construction was to commence. In the intervening years, unfortunately, the 1850 building had been sold, moved, and reopened as the Burrow Hotel. White County’s leaders would have to lease space from the local Masonic Lodge at $450 per year until a new building could be erected.

H.L. Baldwin of Memphis, Tennessee, was retained as architect to design what became a two-story masonry building faced with cut stone on the first floor and brick on the second, topped by a clock tower with a bell dated 1855. While the county accepted a low bid of $25,000 from Searcy builder Wyatt Sanford to construct the building, it proved far more expensive by the time it opened in 1871. Still, the building sufficed for 40 years, with county offices on the first floor and courtrooms on the second.

By 1912, White County had again outgrown its courthouse and employed architect Frank W. Gibb – whose designs are reflected in a number of historic Arkansas courthouses – to remodel the building and add space. Gibb stayed true to the design of the 1871 building, continuing the motif of cut stone on the first floor and brick on the second story. He added wings to the north and south elevations of the building, flattened the original’s hipped roof, and removed gables from the building. The White County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 3, 1977.

Today, the White County Courthouse remains a handsome building, with its soaring columns and Corinthian capitals, marble wainscoting and ornate hexagonal-tile floors. Its grounds are enhanced by memorials to White County soldiers who have served from the Civil War to present day and an Arkansas Champion deodar cedar tree planted by County Judge Herbert Moody in 1939. In addition to county business, the courthouse grounds are home to a farmer’s market during the growing season. The White County Courthouse remains an integral part of its community, and the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program will continue to work with county officials to see that it stays that way.

County Courthouse Restoration Grants in White County

FY1991 Waterproofing Basement $10,000
FY1992 Waterproofing Basement and Parapet Walls $21,075
FY1993 Repaint Exterior $7,500
FY1995 Restore Interior Walls and Ceilings $3,500
FY1997 Install Chairlift $20,250
FY1999 North/South Porch Roofs; Paint Clock Tower $35,679
FY2009 Exterior Painting $42,000
FY2012 Roof Restoration $80,000
FY2013 Finish Roof Restoration $48,200
FY2015 Repair Chairlift $25,000

The AHPP also awarded White County a $33,100 County Courthouse Restoration Grant in FY2002 to make the restrooms at the 1914 Searcy Post Office at Gum and Arch streets accessible to handicapped citizens and to install storm windows at the building, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 20, 1992. The building now serves as a courthouse annex: the Wilbur D. Mills Courts Building, housing the county’s circuit, chancery and probate court offices.



Recent Posts


Tags

Morrilton Arkansas Camden Arkansas Freedmen's Bureau Huntsville Arkansas Elias Camp Morris Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Newton County Arkansas Forrest City Cemetery Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Main Street Texarkana 13th Amendment Nevada County Arkansas North Little Rock Arkansas Marked Tree Arkansas Delta Cultural Center Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South steel window restoration workshop Trail of Tears in Arkansas Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Arkansas Historic Preservation Arkansas State University Heritage Sites American Legion Rosenwald Schools Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Destination Downtown Conference Monroe County Courthouse historic Arkansas properties Historic County Courthouses Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Arkansas African American Civil War History Cumberland Presbyterian Church Tolbert Gill Pike County Arkansas Pope County Arkansas Craftsman style architecture Arkansas Railroad History Edgar Monsanto Queeny National Historic Landmark Mississippi County Arkansas Houston Arkansas Duck Hunting Dionicio Rodriguez Arkansas History Lesson Plans Evelyn Gill Walker House Main Street Dumas Forrest City Arkansas Louisiana Main Street program Mississippi Main Street Association Arkansas Design Network Ouachita County Arkansas New Century Club of Camden 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Arkansas religious history Dr. Ruth Hawkins Skillern House Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Arkansas History cemetery preservsation Barney Elias House Huntsville Commercial Historic District Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Arkansas Humanities Council Main Street Siloam Springs Art Deco Architecture Gothic Revival architecture Bogg Springs Hotel Main Street Batesville Wingmead most endangered historic places Walks Through History Flood Control Fayetteville Arkansas Civil Works Administration Downtown Revitalization Grants free history tours Camden Public Library Kiblah School Conway County Library Arkansas Business History Russellville Arkansas Little Rock Central High School Sandwiching in History National Register of Historic Places Montgomery County Arkansas Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Poinsett County Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Free Lesson Plan Miller County Turner Restoration St. Francis County Historical Society Roe Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Burdette Arkansas historic resort communities "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Prairie County Arkansas African American education Benton Arkansas Clarendon Arkansas County courthouse Restoration Grants Mid-Century Modern Architecture slipcover removal grants Main Street Searcy Civilian Conservation Corps Sunken Lands downtown revitalization Cemetery Preservation Library Bogg Springs Arkansas Perry County Arkansas Pike County Courthouse Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Folk Victorian Architecture Booneville Historical Preservation Society Burdette Plantation Buffalo National River Renaissance Revival Architecture Three States Lumber Company Tudor Revival Architecture Free Courthouse Poster 19th Century Road Construction Freedom Park Saline County Arkansas Helena Arkansas News Release Arkansas Register of Historic Places Rosston Arkansas historic telephone booth cemetery preservation historic architecture Phillips County Arkansas Rustic Architecture Camden to Washington Road National Register of Historic Booneville Arkansas Abolition of Slavery Naturalistic Architecture Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Polk County Arkansas Main Street Arkansas Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Pope County Courthouse Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut International-Style Architecture Madison County Arkansas White County Courthouse Monroe County Arkansas downtown economic development Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Historic Preservation Alliance Doddridge Arkansas Montgomery County Courthouse Henry Koen Office Building Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Paris Arkansas Centennial Baptist Church U.S. Army Corps of Engineers free teacher resources Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Real Estate Transfer Tax Erbie Arkansas Monsanto Chemical Corporation Let Freedom Ring Main Street Ozark Arkansas Preservation Awards free historic preservation workshop Ozark Farming Pulaski County Courthouse U.S. Forest Service

Archive