Blog

Three Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Wednesday, September 19, 2018

 

Three Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

 

  • Voorhees School at Clarksville in Johnson County, a one-story, native stone building constructed between 1940 and 1941 by the National Youth Administration, a Depression-era federal relief agency. “Though it was originally meant to allow aspiring educators the opportunity to teach ninth graders from the Clarksville Public School system, that systems fell by the way side at the outbreak of World War II,” according to the National Register nomination. “The education value remained as the United States Navy used it as classroom space. Following the Navy’s use of the Voorhees School the College of the Ozarks moved the newly formed School of Pharmacy into the building to create Arkansas’s first pharmacy school. The history associated with this former school building continues to be shown as the University of the Ozarks continues to thrive and continues to use the school to facilitate a learning environment for its students.”

 

 

  • William Jasper Johnson House at Bull Shoals in Marion County, a wood-frame vernacular house built around 1900.“The Johnson House is a typical example of a wood-framed single pen house that was soon expanded through the addition of a rear ell,” according to the National Register nomination. “Its stunning survival without large additions or even the introduction of interior plumbing or electrical service is unusual.Also, this property is one of only two known surviving properties, including the Newton Flat Cemetery, that are associated with the early settlement history of this area, prior to the building of the nearby dam and lake.”
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Sandlin House at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a Colonial Revival-influenced building constructed around 1900.“In the nomination for the Governor’s Mansion Historic District, the Sandlin House at 2305 South Gaines Street was considered to be non-contributing to the District due to the installation of synthetic siding which had obscured some of the property’s architectural detail,” according to the National Register nomination. “However, the house should now be considered a contributing resource.However, a recent tax credit project removed the siding and has restored the house’s architectural detail. As a result, the building is considered to be a contributing resource in the Governor’s Mansion Historic District.”

 

 

 

 

 

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.

 



Recent Posts


Tags

Delta Cultural Center Ouachita County Arkansas Phillips County Arkansas Buffalo National River Arkansas Register of Historic Places steel window restoration workshop Arkansas Design Network Booneville Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Cemetery Preservation Library historic Arkansas properties Craftsman style architecture Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council cemetery preservsation National Register of Historic Places Elias Camp Morris "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Freedom Park Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Main Street Dumas Tolbert Gill Historic County Courthouses Destination Downtown Conference Mississippi Main Street Association North Little Rock Arkansas cemetery preservation Erbie Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Newton County Arkansas Camden to Washington Road Mississippi County Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture News Release Dr. Ruth Hawkins Rosston Arkansas Tudor Revival Architecture downtown revitalization Doddridge Arkansas Abolition of Slavery National Historic Landmark Dionicio Rodriguez Arkansas Railroad History Turner Restoration Benton Arkansas Prairie County Arkansas historic resort communities Walks Through History Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Nevada County Arkansas Monsanto Chemical Corporation Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Forrest City Arkansas Roe Arkansas historic telephone booth Main Street Searcy Arkansas Humanities Council Fayetteville Arkansas Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Pike County Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Bogg Springs Arkansas Pope County Arkansas Rustic Architecture Poinsett County Arkansas Arkansas Preservation Awards White County Courthouse Monroe County Arkansas New Century Club of Camden Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Trail of Tears in Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons free historic preservation workshop Main Street Texarkana Arkansas Historic Preservation Polk County Arkansas Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Main Street Siloam Springs Pulaski County Courthouse Arkansas History Lesson Plans most endangered historic places Arkansas History Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Mid-Century Modern Architecture downtown economic development Saline County Arkansas Marked Tree Arkansas historic architecture Pike County Courthouse International-Style Architecture African American education Morrilton Arkansas National Register of Historic Ozark Farming free teacher resources Art Deco Architecture St. Francis County Historical Society slipcover removal grants Camden Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Huntsville Commercial Historic District Flood Control Barney Elias House Gothic Revival architecture Freedmen's Bureau Conway County Library Louisiana Main Street program Let Freedom Ring Monroe County Courthouse Main Street Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Civil Works Administration Camden Public Library Main Street Batesville Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Evelyn Gill Walker House Bogg Springs Hotel Montgomery County Arkansas Free Lesson Plan 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Civilian Conservation Corps Arkansas African American Civil War History Henry Koen Office Building Sunken Lands American Legion Montgomery County Courthouse Historic Preservation Alliance Three States Lumber Company U.S. Forest Service Arkansas Business History Forrest City Cemetery 19th Century Road Construction Burdette Plantation Main Street Ozark Russellville Arkansas Downtown Revitalization Grants 13th Amendment Sandwiching in History Madison County Arkansas U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Renaissance Revival Architecture County courthouse Restoration Grants Helena Arkansas Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Perry County Arkansas Booneville Historical Preservation Society Clarendon Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture Free Courthouse Poster Centennial Baptist Church Arkansas religious history Pope County Courthouse Duck Hunting Little Rock Central High School Cumberland Presbyterian Church Wingmead Rosenwald Schools Paris Arkansas Miller County free history tours Real Estate Transfer Tax Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Huntsville Arkansas Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Houston Arkansas Kiblah School Skillern House Edgar Monsanto Queeny

Archive